ISG/MSG Fall 2020 Meeting (#71) - Virtual (proposed)

Greeting everyone,

Given the current global circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have determined that the regualrly scheduled in-person meetings this year are not easily feasible. Given that bSI has already run a Spring “Virtual” Summit and is planning to do the same for the Fall, we feel that it would be best for us to do the same.

So, the proposal is to hold the biannual ISG/MSG meeting online, 14-17 September 2020. Instead of the typical two full days of meetings, we would hold four 1/2 day sessions online, most likely breaking it up into two 1:45 sessions with a 1/2 hour break in between. That way, we still get the time to cover many topics, have in depth discussions, and come to some actionable items in a concentrated effort.

In turn, we also propose the meetings would be held 08.00-12.00 US EDT / 14.00-18.00 CEST / 22.00-02.00. AEST

We are open to agenda suggestions, but most likely part of the meeting will be updates to current projects, as well as topics surrounding IFC5 development. Other suggestions are encouraged. Just add a reply here.

Please let me know what you think. We’ll start planning ASAP.

1 Like

This is a good idea :slight_smile: WIll the community be able to join?

That is a reasonable schedule. Would the sessions be recorded for later viewing ?

@Moult, I would be happy to have a larger group join, within logistical reason. The GoToMeeting license allows 150 participants, max. We’ve never had more than 65 people participate, but being virtual increases the opportunity. I think we want to make sure we get the usual suspects and any other vendors actively pursuing IFC development (including yourself). We had a pretty good group for Vilnius, but I suspect we may have more as we reach out to the IFC4.3 deployment participants. If it gets too big, then discussions are difficult.

We’ll probably ask people to register ahead of time to give them the link and then post the recordings for everyone to review at their leisure, later (sound good @dalvarez?).

1 Like

Hello Jeffrey @jwouellette That would be great if you could do that. I am in the west coast and waking up at 5:00 am is not my preference :smile:

Thank you,

David

Cheers @jwouellette - the times are also fairly inconvenient in Australia, but I understand. Perhaps in addition to recordings, technical discussion could be summarised in the relevant Github issues? That would allow searchability and concise summary (compared to listening to hours of recordings)?

2 Likes

Are the clocks ticking slower in Europe or are we just regarded as lazy :wink: ? I guess it would be 14.00-18.00 CEST, right?

1 Like

@tauscher thanks for that catch. Fixed.