IFC Documantation

I start to learn about IFC file , IFCDoc software and every information about IFC . I am very beginner and i have several questions. please help me.

1. I saw clip : https://youtu.be/qU46JMf_nSk that published with building smart and when i right click on ifcSpace the assign model view button doesn’t appear and i don’t understand what’s the problem.
  2. please Introduction several references to learn about IFC and how to create IFC file.

If I understand well what you are asking, then I suggest http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/IFC4/final/html/, in my opinion, this is by far the best resource to learn about IFC, once you understand how to navigate through the diagrams it becomes clearer and clearer.
If you are a developer, then one tool -to generate or edit the IFC- (as I am using it) is xbim · GitHub, its a C# library. There’s also this python library http://www.ifcopenshell.org/ but I haven’t used it.

1 Like

thank you.
Your guide was very helpful for me
about problem1:
on site: https://technical.buildingsmart.org/resources/ifcdoc/ there are seven clip about learning IFCDuc software. in section 3 , he said right click on “ifc space” and select “assign model view” but when i right click i don’t have “assign model view”
picture 1 is my app and picture 2 is about section3 :
pic1:

pic2:

1 Like

This has been altered quite some time ago. The documentation should definitely be updated on this.

Not sure if there are any resources available for this though. Me and @jonm are currently working on an updated version of IfcDoc where some new functionalities will be added again which are not documented. I realized this is a big issue. We have to talk about this in the IfcDoc team I guess.

1 Like

If you want to modernize IFC schema, please wait then.
First of all we should work on IFC schema and then develop IfcDoc or any other IfcX solution based on

1 Like

How long does it take to solve this problem?

Thanks Sergej for your answer.

I talk about this issue some weeks ago with someone of the team, so I understand we have to be patient…

The question is whether it’s possible to use ifcDoc without this “assign model view” functionality, replacing it by a manual assigning procedure. Get manually the “mvdxml blocks” to compose the file?

I’m investing time in better understanding the xml language, the mvdxml schema and in finding out if this manual “assigning” is possible the way ifcDoc works today. But i don’t know whether it’s worth to do it or if ifcDoc is not operational at all because of this issue.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Daniel

Yes, it is. It currently works the following way:

1. Right-click on the the first node in the tree named “Scope” -> Insert -> Model View Definition
  2. Right-click on the model view definition -> Insert -> Exchange Definition to add exchanges being covered by the MVD.
  3. Right-click on the model view definition -> Insert -> Table Definition to add concept roots.
  4. Left-click on the definition and in the lower right part of the UI select the tab “Query”. In this same region click on “+” and select the IFC entity the concept root maps to.
  5. Right-click on the concept root (table definition) -> Insert -> Column Definition to add concepts to the concept root. Configuring the concepts is done through the tabs in the lower right part of the UI.

Sorry for the rudimentary explanation. I did not have much time. I hope this helps.

Hope other friends check, but step 4 doesn’t work and all have the issue in this step
Maybe we’re wrong, if someone did, please share

YEAH !!!

Many thanks SERGEJ !!!

It works for me.

To be clear: These instructions solve the fictionality difference between the current ifcDoc UI and the one of the #2 tutorial video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU46JMf_nSk&feature=youtu.be between times 6:15 and 8:01), Issue reported up here by zeynab (that’s what I tested so far…)

I should add: the “model view definitions” are not listed under the chosen ifc Entity (as seen on video UI from 6:01) but the whole tree structure can be managed from the MVD we created under Scope, on the top of the left side of the UI.

Well… now is time the keep learning with the tutorial videos… I’ll dare to ask your help again if I ever get blocked further…

Have a nice day.

Could you please create a short video to show how does it work? It will help buildingSMART too to answer many requests these days has to handle related to IfcDoc

It works with “Table Definition” but the main issue is “you have to add IFC entity names manually which is agony”

Hi guys. I just joinned the forum wondering if any of you knows how to add an INV attribute using IfcDoc. I am pretty new to the software and the only thing I got is adding two attributes linking two entities and marking one of them as inverse of the other.

However, I would like to have just one attribute (one line between both entities) whose text indicates the name of both the direct and the inverse attribute.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to do this would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

I’ll try to upload a picture of what I’ve done.

Any advice in the meantime?

Thanks in advance!!

Sorry, No video but old-fashion screenshots…

In BOLD the steps proposed by SERGEJ…

I included the “time on video” reference in order to compare the manipulations on the tutorial video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU46JMf_nSk&feature=youtu.be and those of my screenshots.

1. Right-click on the the first node in the tree named “Scope” -> Insert -> Model View Definition

Time on video - 0:22 / 0:35

2. Right-click on the model view definition -> Insert -> Exchange Definition to add exchanges being covered by the MVD.

Time on video - 0:52 / 1: 27

3. Right-click on the model view definition -> Insert -> Table Definition to add concept roots.

Time on video – 6:15 to 6:21

4. Left-click on the definition and in the lower right part of the UI select the tab “Query”. In this same region click on “+” and select the IFC entity the concept root maps to.

Time on video 6:31 “… and that adds IfcSpace to the modelview”

5. Right-click on the concept root (table definition) -> Insert -> Column Definition to add concepts to the concept root.

Time on video 7:17 “…if you want to add a requirement…”

Configuring the concepts is done through the tabs in the lower right part of the UI.

Time on video 7:20 “…we can say Insert Concept…” to time 7:47

Please find attached a picture of what I mean.
I get to mark the attribute in the red circle as inverse of the attribute in the blue circle, but the latest should be removed automatically as it is already being defined through the inverse one, shouldn’t it?

I hope my explanation is not too confuse.

Thanks in advance!!!image

You should click on the attribute (red) and it automatically will be selected on the tree (on left side panel), then should copy it and add it inside the tree which another IfcRelDeclares is (blue)

If you click on each one you will see where is it inside the tree

Thanks, I know this

Just let us know the “Table Definition Name” came from where?
You wrote “manually” IfcSpace or when you choose IfcSpace, you see the IfcSpace name as a Table Definition name?

The issue is here, you have to “write manually all those Table Definitions”

Otherwise you can select them form query or from documentation area

Thank you for your answer. I can find them both in the tree:

But I don’t get what I should do with them. Do you mean copying an attribute from the tree and pasting it into the other? Can items be copied and pasted in the ifcDoc tool? The only option I get when I do right click on them is “Delete”.

Thanks a lot!!

I misunderstood

You have to add an attribute Type and its Inverse

Does it have the attribute? If yes, its type should be “ReelatingContext” and in inverse “Declares” or what you want to choose from possible ones

Sorry but I am pretty new to it and don´t get what you mean. Could you post an example or similar please?

Thanks a lot!!!