Why are door and window attributes special?

They use a IfcPreDefinedPropertySet. Is there a reason why they are not regular property sets?

Edit: this also raises the question of unnecessary GlobalId attributes. Should they need one?

You pointed your finger on a “vitally important” area

I think maybe these IfcPreDefinedPropertySet entities were for “examining an idea”
The idea was/is something like what I introduced as Globalized References and Design Transfers [Here]

A good program/project/standard should support:

1. Convergence (Standardization) --> IfcPreDefinedXs, etc
  2. Divergence (Non-Standardization) --> Templates, Psets, etc

The idea behind the GRVs & GDTs is Convergence & Divergence too

If we look at IFC schema, we recognize that it has developed from old CAD days and mainly is a 2D based approach: IfcDoorLiningProperties
ifcdoorliningproperties-fig05

I propose an alternative idea as a 3D approach
A GRV is a standard 3D context which is a reference to develop a lot of GDTs

buildingSMART International in ProductPass (a reserved .org domain) extension develops a standard 3D Building Information Model for a Door as GRV and manufacturers can use this as a reference to develop their own Door Products and add those Standard Doors in ProductPass Data/Information bank

Then AECOO companies just need to search the product bank, find appropriate brand and door they need and add it to their local information system

P.S: Some content creator companies like NBS, BIMobject, etc can develop these product contents as partners of this open organization

Bumping this thread, since this was not addressed when it was first posted. I have now proposed this to be fixed in the specification in issue 51. Once this is resolved, this thread can be marked as solved.

1 Like