"IFC Parameters" in Revit

Hi all,

Thought i should do a short introduction here. My name is Eng Chu, i’m currently working under Singapore Land Authority as a Senior Land Survey Executive. Still relatively new to the field of IFC, i’m currently in the midst of doing studying and research on aspects of exporting.

So that leads to my question here which crosses over to Revit. As i was creating shared parameter txt file for different instance parameters to assign into my project file, i’m not quite sure if it should be grouped under “IFC Parameters”. Should it be grouped under that if i’m going to export through the “IfcExportAs” method? Or whichever export method i’m using, be it through the IFC exporter mapping settings or through the Autodesk Classification Manager, i’d have to classify the project parameters under “IFC Parameters”? Example image below shows the setup.

Appreciate anyone’s assistance. Thank you.

This is not really the place for general Revit questions. AUGI would be a good place for that. Revit

To answer your question, the grouping of parameters has no impact on anything outside the user interface.

Here a few useful guides to setting up your Revit file for IFC export:

1 Like

Ok will take note of this for future postings, thought that there’s abit of IFC interfacing info that I could enquire in this forum thread. Alright, that is much clearer.

Thank you for for the redirect and the provided useful guide links, i will check that out.

1 Like

If you export all Revit properties into IFC (option in the exporter configuration), these “group” names will be used as names for property sets. So they do have their impact!

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t realize that. Thanks for that info @stefkeB

Hi @stefkeB,

Thanks for the follow-up clarification. :+1: May i ask for usual cases of export, let’s say through the exporter setup. If my team has all the customised attributed parameters grouped under IFC Parameters, which checkbox does this falls under in this tab? Would it be under user-defined?

And maybe in what cases would it be applicable or needed of us to tick afew of that export Pset checkboxes for export, if you may have come across?

Thank you.

The parameters in the group “IFC Parameters” will be picked up automatically if their name matches buildingSMART defined properties.

If you want to map Revit Parameters to an IFC property set of your liking, then you have to prepare a mapping configuration text file and activate the option “Export user defined property sets”.

Good guidelines to explain the mapping files:

The first method (IFC Parameters) works fine, but you are responsible for filling in the values (manually or via scripting).

The second method (mapping) is recommended to pick up parameters you are already managing but want to export them with another name to match the EIR in a project.

2 Likes

Hi @stefkeB,

The information are really helpful, thanks for useful guidelines listed :+1: I will look through and study the resources.

Cheers!