MEP System Classification

Hi everyone,

I’m going through the entities for MEP looking for a specific parameter of which I do not know the name of (yet), and I’m hoping someone here can help me out.

When coordinating MEP I often find myself overwhelmed by the sheer amount of installations in our projects. To make sense of it all, we assign specific colours to a parameter which Revit calls ‘System Abbreviation’ for Mechanical and Plumbing, or Function Code for Electrical. Every system has its own code and their own colour. These, however, are Revit-specific System classification parameters.

Within Solibri Office we call upon these parameters and dedicate a classification to it, which we use to change the system’s modelcolours like this:

I’ve been going through the BuildingSmart documentation (IFC4.2) but I just can’t find a property in IFC that would store such information. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

Kind regards,

Ben

Hi,
Hope this post help with:

Systems in IFC are stored in IfcSystem entities. The code for the system should be stored in the Name attribute of each IfcSystem entity.

IFC does not store a colour to “categorise” things. These arbitrary colour schemes, based on a property, are a function of the IFC viewer. Solibri has this feature, as do others, such as Autodesk Assemble, and the free software BlenderBIM Add-on.

That said, if you wanted to, you could store the colour as a regular colour property of the object, see @ReD_CoDE’s link.