IfcProxy deprecated

Hi all,
in IFC4 IfcProxy is deprecated. Is there any replacement class? Is it replaced with IfcBuildingElementProxy?

IfcProxy:
*ttps://standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/RELEASE/IFC4/ADD2_TC1/HTML/schema/ifckernel/lexical/ifcproxy.htm

IfcBuildingElementProxy:
*ttps://standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/RELEASE/IFC4/ADD2_TC1/HTML/schema/ifcsharedbldgelements/lexical/ifcbuildingelementproxy.htm

I couldn’t find information why IfcProxy should not be used anymore

Thank you!

Thomas

1 Like

Hi @ all,
I would like to push this thread again because in the IFC 4x3 both classes, IfcProxy and IfcBuildingElementProxy are marked as deprecated. What is the proper way to model objects, which are not part of the IFC yet, e.g., defects?

Greetings Noran

What is the proper way to model objects, which are not part of the IFC yet

My guess is that IfcBuiltElement (previously IfcBuildingElement, base class) became non-abstract for that purpose in 4.3.

The IfcBuiltElement can be instantiated in the case when arbitrary built elements cannot be expressed by a subtype of IfcBuiltElement.

https://standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/DEV/IFC4_3/RC2/HTML/link/ifcbuiltelement.htm

1 Like

See also the discussion here: Provision for Voids in IFC4x3 RC1

I didn’t see a real answer yet, though. And I don’t think IfcBuiltElement replaces all use cases for which Proxy still makes sense.

I didn’t see a real answer yet, though. And I don’t think IfcBuiltElement replaces all use cases for which Proxy still makes sense.

I’ve read that thread already and came to the same conclusion. Even though proxies should not be used, there are entities which are not “built elements”. Furthermore, proxies come in handy for research and science, where you often face situations with new classes or entities, which do not fit into existing definitions.

Greetings Noran

1 Like

I agree with @stefkeB and @Noran. Perhaps deprecating the proxy needs to be rethought?

http://ifc43-docs.standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/RELEASE/IFC4x3/HTML/lexical/IfcBuiltElementProxy.htm

Any clarification: it seems IfcBuildingElementProxy is renamed to IfcBuiltElementProxy now? I don’t see a hint on the name change nor the deprecation anymore. Is this a correct assumption?

1 Like

Seems like it.