IfcElementAssembly instances mapping in Graphisoft Archicad

IfcElementAssembly instances mapping - Graphisoft Community

Hello, @hkreienbrink

@mirbek.bekboliev suggested me to address my request regarding the potential mapping implementation of IfcElementAssembly within Graphisoft Archicad.

When modeling building element parts, such as columns or beam segments, especially in precast systems there is a need to map those geometry instances into the suitable IFC Entity or class. Since GS Archicad also introduced the Beam and Column Segment, there is also a clearer way to achieve this kind of systems, whether you are an Architect or an Structural Engineer using this BIM Authoring tool.

The IfcElementAssembly class (see the Entity definition in the already GS AC certified IFC4 ADD2 TC1 Reference View MVD IfcElementAssembly (buildingsmart.org) covers the following PredefineType values, as its IfcElementAssemblyTypeEnum shows:

On the other hand, the IFC Project Manager shows the following information:

And there is no way to map to this class using the Type Mapping setting in the Export Translator.

In my opinion, this is a necessary feature for those who are involved in the production of highly granular information models based on IFC Schema.

Mapping is just that: a correlation between 2 items from different taxonomies. The required knowledge behind each of them should be identified as something assumed by the AEC expert who is modeling (construction knwldg, but also standardized semantics).

IMO, IfcBuildingElementPart as subtype of

IfcElementComponent

An element component is a representation for minor items included in, added to or connecting to or between elements, which usually are not of interest from the overall building structure viewpoint. However, these small parts may have vital and load-carrying functions within the construction. These items do not provide any actual space boundaries. Typical examples of IfcElementComponents include different kinds of fasteners and various accessories.

does not cover the modelling of basic and not so small elements, modelled or not with the Beam or Column segment AC tool, that configure a bigger system, structural or not, and cannot be mapped as complete IfcColumn or IfcBeam because are part of a bigger and more complex element.

Kind regards,

David

1 Like

I don’t see a possibility to create an Assembly via the IFC Assignments. You can define an arbitrary Group, but that is probably not what you want to achieve.

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/25/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0#t=_AC25_Help%2F121_IFC%2F121_IFC-18.htm

Hi, Stefan

No, of course not.
I’m just asking for the mapping feature from the authoring tool for this particular class.

HI, I need to involve soem of my HU collegues.

1 Like

Thanks @hkreienbrink !
That active feedback would be much appreciated.
We’ll stay tuned.
David.

@hkreienbrink Hello!

Do you have some updates on this topic?

KR

David

Hi @daviddelven,

Thank you so much for the input and the question. We are receiving quite a few requests regarding this. Our goal is to provide solutions native in Archicad and not to handle IFC as a completely separate model. So ideally we should introduce/extend the native Archicad toolset to support an Element Assembly somehow and that would automatically resolve IFC based workflows as well.

Up until that point when we can rethink this topic in a more holistic matter, my question would be: if we would allow IFC export mapping to IfcElementAssembly also, how would this help your workflow? Would this have any value if you cannot add/remove/organize elements within an assembly on UI? Just exporting a simple element, like a column as an IfcElementAssembly would resolve your issue or do you agree that a far more complex solution would be required to properly handle this type?

Thanks in advance,
Zoltán V.

1 Like

Hello, Zoltan

Thanks for the feedback.
In my opinion, following the Column example, we should be able to export any element segment or part also as an IfcElementAssembly.XXXXXXX (Adding the corresponding enumeration value and populating the Object Type attribute accordingly.

(see also @sergej 's comment on this thread → openings in IfcSpatialElement - #6 by sergej )

What I also would like to have natively is a similar feature to the one we use when exporting containers (such as IfcStair, IfcCurtainWall, etc…). We can choose whether we want to keep the subclasses hierarchy or not. Imagine that “Column”, you can export (map) it as a simple IfcColumn for one particular exchange scenario and as different IfcElementAssemblyType instances for other more granular scenarios (such as an OFF site fabrication).

As architects dealing with Off-site based and modular design methods, there is a need for such a way of modelling and IFC-based delivery.