Draft IDM: Quantity Take-Off - please comment

Overview
The aim of this Quantity Take-Off Information Delivery Manual is specifying how quantities of individual entities like spaces, walls, coverings and valves are stored and exchanged between parties in the lifecycle of a facility
according to the IFC4 structure.

Use Case
The Information Delivery Manual (IDM) serves two use cases that both are related to adding quantity
take-off information to objects stored in the IFC4 structure. Quantities are used in many business cases,
e.g. cost estimation, life cycle costing, life cycle assessment, logistics, purchasing, maintenance, energy
analysis and calculation of sustainable performance. Objects like spaces, walls, coverings and valves are
often designed and modelled in BIM-tools by one type of professionals, while other types of professionals
need the quantities from the objects as input to perform their services. In both situations, the use cases
are depending on access to information about quantities.
The first use case is based on using the exiting IFC4 Based quantities. The second use case is related to
the business case that exceeds the capacity of Base quantities and requires adding additional Custom
quantities to the objects

Link to IDM: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a4iodb2r1b8f0d/QTO01__20180620.pdf?dl=0

Please comment!

Jan Karlshoej

3 Likes

Dear @jan.karlshoej ,

thank you again for sharing this document.

As discussed, we are already getting feedback from our members. We have shared it with various working groups, in particular with the Expert Group “BIM and Costs”.

You can also follow comments, that we have organized in ShareFile: https://citrixworkflows.sharefile.com/shareable-link/88596ebd-238a-454b-b8b1-9c6d35d86031

We have set due date by end of this month. I will try to send you summary at the beginning of August.

All the best,
Mirbek

1 Like

I have read the QTO MVD. I appreciate the need for specific and local measurements. The Danish examples are interesting. The existing QTO sets can used, or specific and local ones can be defined and a specific or local MVD declared to enforce their adoption. But what does this document add to the IFC or to the way it is used?

2 Likes

Dear @jan.karlshoej see Nick’s question below:

I have read the QTO MVD. I appreciate the need for specific and local measurements. The Danish examples are interesting. The existing QTO sets can used, or specific and local ones can be defined and a specific or local MVD declared to enforce their adoption. But what does this document add to the IFC or to the way it is used?