Why is it so difficult to get colors to show up?

We are talking many different things here. We do want to try to stick to the topic. @dion mentioned a tweak to test the (potential) abilities for bringing in color and testing. That was a good start! On other hand i do some testing on BricsCAD and will come up with results in AutoCAD later.

@angel.velez why do you want to do a in depth discussion about conversion mechanisms and a definition for Linking? You go way past the point of giving any explanations on the fairly simple and straightforward question “why is it so diificult to show up color”

So i want to ask you again…

Why doesn’t Revit show the colors on Ifc? Could there be any workaround or tweak. Clear answers please :stuck_out_tongue:

For any reader still interested
The short answers is : there is no demand for color. The rest was censored by @jwouellette

@Hans_Lammerts: I was responding to your last paragraph re: linking, since you asked if I could explain it better.

The simple answer to the color issue is that not enough people have color as a high priority. That’s it, really. If enough people complain about color, it will move up in priority. There are also issues around it being overly complex and such.

Note that I don’t think that ‘our system’ is more advanced than any other. I do think that IFC is the common denominator, and that each system has some advantage, otherwise no one would buy it. So it is to be expected that some things won’t be easily transferred without losing some information.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I’m closing this topic down because it has ventured too far into territory I don’t really appreciate.

These forums were set up for respectful dialog amongst the community to help identify issues and opportunities. It was NOT meant to be a soapbox for individuals to bash other members of the community regardless of size, type, or nationality. It is not a mud pit or bully pulpit.

Nor was it meant to be free marketing for ANY product, regardless of business model. If you see something or have something to offer, fine, make it brief and post your product marketing on your own website.

When an issue has been determined to be product specific, we ask that people reach out the the vendors directly to solve the problem, hopefully in a respectful manner there too. It is not an opportunity to tear a vendor down in public. Read the topics in the Getting Started category again. Then step back for a while and cool off.

Furthermore, accusations of preference or deference are unfounded and insulting. There are many members of the bSI community who have been working for a great deal of time on solving the problem of interoperability. To date, I am happy to note that it has been respectful and positive, for the most part. Our Chairman, Patrick MacCleamy, has always insisted that the Community that respectfully interacts, even fostering friendship among its membership, has a greater chance of solving such a large challenge. If you can’t fully appreciate the past accomplishments of bSI and its members and you also don’t understand how it was done in spite of all the challenges in its path, then don’t comment in such matters. When those outside the community see such interactions I fear they do great damage to the image of the organization and ALL of its members.

I may sound harsh, but no more harsh than the way some have expressed themselves in this forum. I hate having to sound like a parent disciplining his children, especially among a community of peers. In the meantime, if you have issues with particular people or companies, I suggest you step back for a moment and then interact via PMs instead. Don’t be surprised if you don’t get a response if you approach people in such a manner as displayed above.

5 Likes