Creating federated IFC models

I checked the non-manifold solid in the Geometry Gym IFC plugin for rhino, seems the problematic plate simply doesn’t define the cap faces with voids. You can see the count is 30, the other plates have 32.

1 Like

Yes both in the graphics and in the numeric you can see that the ifc conversion lost something along the way. It’s not very stable.

Ah, your approach with the liking would be an ideal thing which I am also fighting to achieve in some software environments. One of them is Solibri where for me it would be most useful.
I remember we had once this discussion where I shared a video about archicad. For the time being we will have to stick with the merging.

What about original element GUIDs of the source IFC models once they are already federated in SimpleBIM and saved as single models with only one IfcProject?

i’m using simplebim for a few years sporadically. you can repair certain things there, but the majority of the ifc values are locked. you can’t modify the ifc structure at will…

Hey @Moult! I was wondering if you had any success merging IFC files using IfcOpenShell. It shouldn’t be that hard I imagine. Or am I missing something? https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/237

@claimred Here’s 10 lines of code that merges IFC files: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/commit/e56648e393fa9a1a3c632eeb39259cea23435c79

This is a highly simplistic merge. I.e., there are some assumptions:

1. The two files do not share GUIDs.
  2. The two files have the same units. (I believe in IFC5, they will stick to metric units, which will make life so much easier)
  3. Your resulting IFC viewing program is lenient. For example, it won’t throw a fit if it finds the Model geometric context defined twice.
  4. It will not merge sites or building storeys or other spatial elements for now. It’ll simply merge the IfcProject elements.

Let me know if that’s useful. If you need more features, let me know and it can be refined further.

2 Likes

To add another “lab” workaround for some sort of Federation using a bSI Standard: what about adding the IFCs as Snippets into a BCF used as a federated container? I know, just a dumb heresy…