GUIDs in an BIM Project

I think bSI and vendors have waited for “new IDM” which will come in 2021

Because as I mentioned several times current IDM doesn’t support ISO 19650 and some other needs, so this was the main reason IDM Toolkit/Configurator project started

Thank you Agron for sharing the file and the analysis. Despite that it is about stable GUIDs, I share (just for info) the result of the import into the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform from Dassault Systèmes (yes we are also a player in the domain :slight_smile:). You do not see GUIDs because they are not exposed.
We are looking forward to support stable GUIDs as we believe it can help to better manage collaboration scenrio between platforms. Added to ifcownerhistory it could even help software editors to track changes and manage revisions on geometry but also attributes. But this another story.
Regards, Jonathan
https://app.box.com/s/27oo2y28pt480yr2fg3ps8i2xvugfxo8

I share (just for info) the result of the import into the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform from Dassault Systèmes

@jonathan.RIONDET Am I the only one seeing an *.mp4 file that you are sharing?

It’s a ArchiCAD IFC file.

Just sharing for the record that I have just tested the Nemesis file with the BlenderBIM Add-on.

I’m very happy to say that based on your table, the BlenderBIM Add-on scores green on all fields… except BuildingAddress, which is not shown in the UI. I will be sure to fix this in the next release.

3 Likes

@agron, no. everybody who has the link can download the file

I am replying to this old topic of mine, since I was confronted with it again.
So does buildingSMART and the indsutry agree that using duplicate GUIDs is the proper way to federate data structures?
If multiple Teams deliver their Data into one container, they should all have the same GUID for IfcProject, IfcSite, IfcBuilding or IfcBuildings, IfcStorey…so their data can be correctly strcutured into one data tree. From this point of the tree on the GUIDs are unique on the component level. Therefore a Pipe, Wall, Lighting, etc. will have their unique GUIDs and not collide with GUIDs of other components.

1 Like

To follow up on this - if the GUID is duplicated - how should the viewing application determine which is the source of truth? If 5 datasets are provided with 5 GUIDs, and the attribute differ, which should the app pick?

1 Like

Hi Dion,

sorry for my late reply on this…

In my opinion there should exist a regulation from buildingSMART to define what can and what cannot have a same GUID if we are merging multiple datasets into one source. This then would be implemented by all software vendors. This currently does not exist, hence each software delivering wild GUIDS for the same projects (not talking about componentn level). Since a project should start in best case with a Master Template (where the allowed duplicates GUIDs are defined), the machine and human would be capable of identifying discrepancies. Maybe I am wrong, but I believe this is how correctness of the data coming from different stakeholders could be determined.

Example: if you open mutliple IFCs of the same Project in Solibri, you will get all the structure beginning from the IfcProject until the last bit for each and every IFC file. Multiple Sites, multiple buildings etc…. Where in realite we are talking about one Site and one Building.

1 Like